Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Job Related Blog Entry

1.      I have not had a museum job in the past, nor do I currently have one. 
        
        One of my classmates last semester referred me to her friend who is a curator at the Crocker Art Museum, Ms. Marie-Claire.  Her and I emailed each other for a time about the process of acquiring a job at a museum. She told me that she would would recommend staying close to home, if I lived in Sacramento I could successfully cultivate a meaningful network rather than uprooting myself for a few months at a time. This is similar to Burcaw's number two point on how to get a job which states that museum workers have got their first job through personal acquaintance with museum directors. 

2. The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco seeks a Curator in Charge, European Paintings. The position oversees a collection of more than eight hundred works from the fourteenth to the early twentieth centuries at the Legion of Honor Museum.

Key responsibilities include the stewardship and study of the collection and organization of exhibitions, in addition to the management of departmental operations, participation in public programs and education, and cultivation of donor support.

The successful candidate will have a PhD in art history and a minimum of five years of museum work in the field of European paintings, including experience as a supervisor and project leader, along with a commitment to scholarship and publication.
(Western Museums Association)
      The reason why I picked this job is because if I were to have a job at a museum, I would want it to be as a curator. The other reason is that the Legion of Honor Museum is my favorite museum in this area. This museum is my go-to place on special occasions such as Valentine's Day and birthdays. Fine Art museums in general are my favorite types on museums. In fact, if I were not majoring in Anthropology I would be majoring in Art History with the goal to work at a Fine Art museum.
Skill sets and/or professional experience
Experience in handling artifacts
Experience in exhibit fabrication and installation 
Ability to solve problems critically 
High organization skills


2 comments:

  1. It's certainly a possibility! I'm still not sure what route I want to go on once I graduate next spring.

    ReplyDelete